Friday, 20 March 2009

Final Selection -- Glorious


Finally, we've reached the last five mysteries -- the Glorious Mysteries. I am sure many of you will breathe a great sigh of relief!

Anyway, the first mystery [shown above] is "The Resurrection and the Freeing of the Captives of Sheol". We not only see the resurrected Christ in His glorified body, but also we see Satan bound and the Gate of Hell broken open by the cross. As you may recall, the icon shows Adam and Eve being freed from their tombs along with all the other who have been waiting throughout the centuries for the coming of the Messiah.

This icon has been revised somewhat from the original but remains basically the same.


The second Glorious Mystery is "The Ascension of Our Lord into the Heavens".

Christ Jesus has just told his Mother and the Apostles and disciples goodbye and they are straining their necks watching Him ascend into invisibility. At this point the angels you see standing in the background saying to them all something along the lines of: "why are you standing here? what are you looking for? return to Jerusalem and wait for the coming of the Spirit. He whom you have seen ascending will return to you"

This drawing has not been changed at all.


The third mystery is "The Descent of the Holy Spirit on Our Lady and the Apostles". As instructed, the apostles and Our Lady waited in the Upper Room -- along with some additional disciples -- both men and women -- at least that is what I think! The men seemed to be rather frightened, afraid that the powers that be would come after them.
Suddenly, the wind blew and the house shook and what appeared to be flames of fire appeared above the heads of the apostles -- Our Lady, remember, was already well acquainted with the Holy Spirit. Soon after this, all these frightened men were out in the streets preaching the Gospel for the first time and doing so with power and conviction.

There were only minor changes to this icon.


The fourth Glorious Mystery is "The Dormition (falling asleep) of the Blessed Virgin Mary"
or "The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary" I was planning on using the traditional drawing of the Assumption that I drew as it shows Our Lady being assumed body and soul into Heaven -- which is the teaching of my Faith. However, this image of the Dormition indicates the same basic idea but with images more traditional to icon painting. I'm sure you recall the story I told you about the Assumption of Our Lady: Upon opening her tomb some hours after sealing it shut, the disciples found the body had disappeared and the slab of stone on which her body had rested was now covered with so many flowers, especially roses, that the entire tomb smelled only of flowers.

This is probably the only one of all the icons that I have never felt the need to revise.


The final Glorious Mystery is "The Coronation of Our Blessed Mother as Queen of Heaven". Her holy Son sits upon her lap for it is He who has given her the right to be called "The Mother of God". The angel choirs surround her, honouring her, for it was from her body that Our Lord took His human flesh.

I am not sure why I chose to make her stern and regal looking, but I did. However, I do believe that
after my death, when I see her in Heaven, she will be smiling and that the Child, Jesus, will be laughing with joy

As you may recall, this icon is composed to two icons, but since those changes took place, I have not done any more editing.

So now you have seen all 20 icons as I plan for them to appear in my book on the Rosary. No more editing.


This has been a difficult week for me with six doctor's appointments. Next week, I expect to have only four or five! What a life -- I never know where God is going to lead me next.

Peace be with you all.
.

No comments: