Thursday, 12 March 2009

Final Selection -- Sorrowful

As I prepare to start working on my Rosary Icons book, I am doing the final editing and selection of each of the five events of the four Mysteries. This evening, as you can probably guess from this first icon, I am showing you my final selections of the Sorrowful Mysteries.

The first one is "The Agony in the Garden" where Jesus is in agony as He prays while his closest disciples cannot manage to stay awake and pray with him. (As you can also see, I chose to use the latest version of the sleeping disciples).

The second mystery is "The Scourging at the Pillar" -- Pilate's attempt to satisfy the blood- lust of the crowd shouting for the crucifixion of Jesus. The men who did the scourging had to take turns as it was so hard on their muscles while also being careful not to kill the prisoner by scouring too hard and for too long. This one has been revised since I last posted it.

The third Mystery is "The Crowing with Thorns" which includes the mocking of Jesus by dressing him in an old robe of royal purple and calling Him the king of the Jews while hitting Him and spitting on Him. In my icon they have even set up a mock king's court with jesters and musicians. This one has been revised since the last time I posted it.

The fourth mystery is "Jesus carries His Cross" to the place of his crucifixion and death. He falls three times but is forced by the Roman guards to get up and keep going even though after one fall they finally grab a man from the crowd to carry the cross for Him. This one has been revised since the last time I posted it.

The fifth or final Sorrowful Mystery is the "Crucifixion of Jesus Christ". This one has remained unchanged since its original posting. The icon is a very static depiction of a cruel and terrible death -- but how can you actually show something so awful. So, the tradition has always been not to try to but to let the viewer ponder the reality while gazing on the various elements of putting someone to death as slowly and painfully as possible.

I have a couple coming tonight for their first session of the marriage preparation course so I had better get this posted and get ready to greet them.

Peace be with you.


No comments: