Monday, 16 March 2009

It's Late!


Yikes, I nearly forgot that tonight is the night for posting to my blog and now it is almost bedtime. Sorry about that.

I had planned to continue with the revised Rosary icons -- the Luminous Mysteries were scheduled for tonight. Anyway, that will have to wait until Wednesday.

So, instead, I decided to show you an icon -- I just finished the first draft tonight. This icon is called "Our Lady the Teacher".

I came across a copy of some other artist's interpretation about a month ago and knew right away that I wanted to try drawing it. I love the idea of the Blessed Mother teaching her son his alphabet so that one day He would be able to stand before the members of His synagogue and read from the Prophet Isaiah.

The Greek words at the top stand for "Holy Teacher"... and as most of you know by now, the Greek letters on each side of Our Lady are an abbreviation of her name and title while the letters next to the boy, Jesus, are the Greek letters for the abbreviation of Jesus Christ. Even in this scene, Jesus has the fingers of his left hand in the traditional form of blessing.

Let me know what you think of it or if you have any suggestions or questions about the drawing.


Goodnight and may peace be with you all.

No comments: