Friday, 3 April 2009

Southern Springtime


Tonight's drawings were made using photographs from my Alabama friend, Hylott. He has been running out between rain showers and taking beautiful photos of the plants already in bloom down there in the southern U.S.

Actually, this first one may be have been drawn from one of last summer's photos, I can't remember now. However, it is a beautiful Camellia blossom with some buds. As a consequence, I am calling this drawing "Camellia Buds and Blossom". See, I haven't lost my touch for clever titles!

These next two drawings were definitely done from this year's photographs.



This drawing is of a "Cherokee Chief" Flowering Dogwood tree just coming into bloom. Unlike the more familiar Dogwood trees that have white blossoms, these early blossoms are almost a reddish pink with a number of round, light-green "berries" in the centre. I found the photograph that I worked from to really be quite beautiful outlined against the sky.



Next is my attempt to draw the "Cherokee Chief Blossoms" at a later stage of development. I am not really very pleased with the result, but thought I should post it anyway to give you some idea of how the small, reddish blossom develop into a rosy pink colour with deeper shades of reddish pink of newer growth coming in. I plan to try drawing these blossoms again and perhaps I will be more successful in the finished picture.

This is such a beautiful plant and I am very grateful to Hylott for sending me the photographs.


On another topic entirely, I just wanted to let everyone know that a friend of my dear friend, Amra, has kindly gone through all my icons and corrected all my Greek titles for me. I am so thrilled. I have a bit of work ahead of me making the corrections, but at least I will know when my book is ready that I won't be getting emails telling me about all my mistakes in Greek!

By the way, I am working on a new icon, but it is a rather complex one so it probably won't be finished for a while yet. Until then, you will be seeing more flowers, butterflies and horses, I hope.

Peace be with you all.

No comments: