Saturday, 11 April 2009

Why Me?

Here is the icon I mentioned recently. I just finished this first draft last night. The title in both Greek and English is "Christ the Healer."

Those of us who accept Christ Jesus as true God and true Man usually don't have too much difficulty with the idea of Christ as Healer. We accept the biblical accounts of His healing ministry and probably even believe that He is still doing His healing work in the world today.

We may even know someone, like I do, who was healed miraculously when they were prayed over by people of faith. As well, we have all heard many stories of miraculous healing which we can choose to believe or not. I mean, for Catholics, every modern saint must have two miracles attributed to their intercession before the cause for sanctification is complete.

But what about those who pray and do not get healed? There are so many people that we have prayed for over the years who did not experience a miraculous healing -- instead, they actually got worse!

I have been thinking about this a lot recently because of a young couple I am acquainted with. The 2 month old baby daughter of a family member was born with a potentially fatal illness. Everyone has been praying and hoping for a miracle, but it did not happen. She died this past week.

I had no idea what God's plans might be for this child and her parents so when I prayed for her, I said my own version of those famous words that Christ said in the Garden of Gethsemane: "Father, if it is possible, take this cup of sorrow away from this family, yet, not my will but Your will be done." For me, there is really no other way to pray for myself or others.

I believe that God has a plan for all our lives and so I accept the fact that He knows best. I tell him what I would like to see happen, but then I have to say "but You, Lord, know best so do whatever Your will is in this situation."

The title of this post is "Why Me?" This is a question I no longer ask when bad things happen to me or to those I am praying for. "Why not me", I say -- for who am I that I should expect my life to be without suffering and sorrow. How would I ever learn anything that way? God knows that the only time I really get down on my knees, so to speak, is when I am faced with difficulties in my life or in the lives of all those I care deeply about.

Even so, I can't help wishing that things had ended differently for my young friends and my heart goes out to them and to their family.

Peace be with us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog today regarding God's Will. I have never experienced the deep sorrow that your friends must be experiencing with the loss of their child. Faith in God does not always mean an answer to all of our prayers but comfort in knowing that He is listening and if we do have faith, a peace in knowing that, one day, we all will be together. Raquel