Friday, 1 May 2009

Feast of St. Joseph the Worker


The Church celebrates the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker today. I guess this is the Church's way of co-opting the communist labour movements of the past as well as taking our ancestors beyond the pre-Christian, fertility Maypole celebrations. I appreciate this feast day (just as I do March 19th which is St. Joseph's major feast day) as I have a great devotion to St. Joseph who took care of my two favourite people: Jesus and Mary!

Now to the drawings -- this first drawing is of the flowers of the Northern Dwarf Raspberry. This plant and the the plant in the drawing below are western Canadian varieties found in the Rocky Mountain area.



This second plant, hanging bravely to the rocks, is known as the Alpine Bladder Pod aka Japanese Lantern. I am always amazed at how tenacious some plants are and those seeds find the smallest crack in the rocks and take up residence.


I have a new couple coming tonight for marriage preparation so I will keep this short and write more next time.

Peace be with you.

No comments: