Wednesday, 20 May 2009

First Icon of New Project


Here is the draft stage of the first icon I have been working on -- it is actually the fourth Station of the Cross but it is the one I choose to start with.

The fourth station is "Jesus meets his Blessed Mother". Often this station is depicted showing a haggard Jesus and a deeply grieving Blessed Mother. Since I am drawing it in the tradition of icons; however, I cannot show that kind of emotion. Instead I decided to show what appears to be an almost gentle meeting in the midst of a situation that in reality would have been full of violence and suffering.

I feel that the love between Mother and Son is so deep that their personal suffering simply cannot be expressed in images (or words). Thus, I am trying to make a statement about this encounter by showing the very opposite. Does it work? That is up to you to tell me.

I still have more work to do on this icon so you have plenty of time to make comments!


This photograph is one I have been debating with myself about posting. Why? Well, because it shows how slender I was for so much of my life which is so unlike the way I look now! See how vain I can be. Anyway, I finally said "why not" and here it is.

The photograph was taken in the late 1960's at Centennial College in Scarborough (Toronto). The college had just been open for a couple of years and this party, as best I can recall, was held for the official opening of the college library. I had been hired the year before as a full-time college instructor in the Communications Department.

I am amazed when I look at my hair-do. I did have really long hair at the time, but the style for formal events was to have it put up in great big curls that were sprayed within an inch of their lives so they simply could not move. I remembering thinking it looked quite elegant. The problem with this style, obviously, was trying to brush it all out upon arriving at home very tired and wanting only to collapse into bed.

Well, it is time for me to get back to work on the icons.

Peace be with you.

No comments: