Saturday, 9 May 2009

Running Late!


Here it is just past 9:30 p.m. and it suddenly dawned on me that tonight is the night for posting on my blog! I tell you, this old age is leaving me sort of addled-brained. As I frequently say, however, better late than never.

This first drawing tonight is of a very recognizable plant. I am calling the drawing "African Violets". See how clever I can be!

Anyway, this is one of those drawings that I enjoyed doing and was pleased with when I finished. I think that drawing it from the perspective of looking down on the plant was a good idea.

This next drawing will require some explanation and may well be a bit too "churchy" for some of you.



A friend sent me a link to a photograph supposedly taken in a perpetual adoration chapel of a monstrance that seemed to be emitting a very obvious and unusual light.

Let me explain. A perpetual adoration chapel is a chapel attached to a Catholic Church where the Blessed Sacrament is constantly exposed. The Blessed Sacrament, remember, is the bread left over from the Mass which Catholics believe to be the actual Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ Jesus. Normally this Bread is kept locked in a Tabernacle and is used for taking the Blessed Sacrament to the sick and dying.

When a church has adoration either perpetually or for a special occasion, one of the larger pieces of bread is placed in something called a monstrance -- this is just a beautiful holder for the bread and contains a clear glass section so the bread can be seen by those at prayer.

In churches where there is perpetual adoration, someone has to be present and praying in the chapel at all times. People actually sign up to take turns for an hour each week. A husband, for example, might take an hour from 2 a.m. to 3 a.m. while the children are asleep and when he gets home, his wife then goes for an hour. This requires real dedication -- especially in the winter.

There are any number of stories told of mystical experiences people have had while at prayer before the exposed Blessed Sacrament. Whether they are real or something brought on by lack of sleep is known to God alone. What I do know is that people's lives have been changed by these events.

Anyway, the reason for drawing this picture was more just to give myself the pleasure of doing so. I have a deep love for our Lord present with us under the humble appearance of ordinary bread. With this drawing I can picture myself kneeling in this chapel and seeing the "light of Christ" -- which is the name I gave to this drawing.

Whew! That was a long explanation.

Well, it is almost bedtime. May we all have a peaceful night and a glorious Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sallie: Just to say that I visited your blog, and appreciated your notes on Perpetual Adoration, as well as the accompanying drawing. (Actually, I think the drawing would be more effective without the extra light emanating from the monstrance. It is a rather striking portrayal of a simple chapel setting with Our Lord clearly the focal point.)
E.