Sunday, 3 May 2009

The Stations of the Cross

Also known as The Way of the Cross, these 14 "stations" were developed centuries ago once Christians were no longer able to go to Jerusalem and actually walk the real way of the cross from the site of Pilate's courtyard to the tomb where Christ was buried.

In the early centuries of the Church many pilgrims made their way to Jerusalem and did this walk and felt they gained great merit for doing so. Eventually, Jerusalem was no longer accessible to Christians so a "make do" pilgrimage was devised with plaques/paintings placed on the walls of a church or placed along a walkway outside. You still had to walk the way of the cross but the distance was considerably shorter than the real thing.

As you know, I have been thinking about creating icons for these stations -- usually the picture or plaque is in the style of Italian religious art. The drawing at the beginning of tonight's posting is really a "draft" icon (if such a thing is possible) for me to see what it is like to adapt the style of work I already have done with the images required for the Stations.

With a bit more work, this icon could be used for the 14th station where Christ is placed in the tomb. I have been looking carefully at different drawings of the Stations and am becoming more convinced that it might be possible for me to draw them. The resulting icons and the comments I write about them could also be the subject matter for another book.

Speaking of the book, I think my friend will be returning the text pages soon with her editing notes and as I mentioned, once I have made her corrections, I will pass the pages along to one of my priest friends to make certain that I haven't said anything theologically incorrect. Once that is done, I will have a draft copy printed up and make certain that everything looks the way I want it to. After that, it will be for sale -- hopefully by the end of June. That will be very exciting for me.

If you have any views on all this, please let me know.

Peace be with you.

No comments: