Monday, 20 July 2009

Bumblebee and a Kitty


Tonight's first drawing is of a rather prickly looking flower. The plant is called Scabiosa and doesn't look like the kind of blossom you would want to pick up with your bare hand!

Inside the blossom is another reason why you might want to leave this particular plant alone -- there sits a bumblebee. The bumblebee has its head down and its bum down, obviously working really hard at gathering up any nectar it can find.

By the way, I am calling this drawing "Bumblebee in Scabiosa". As usual, you can tell that it must have taken me hours to come up with such a clever title!



This second drawing is entitled "Kitten with a Ball". Wow, I amaze myself sometimes with my creative abilities when it comes to titles.

Actually, I was attracted to the photograph I used for this drawing because it reminded me a bit of miz k.d. when she was a kitten. The major difference was that when she was this age, she had a very definite, black "H" on top of her head. I just assumed the "H" would stay there forever; however, soon after her first birthday, it began to fade. Within a few months it was entirely gone and has never returned.

I was actually very disappointed as I could point to the "H" and tell visitors that it was the mark of the devil -- she was the cat from Hell. At that age she truly was a handful -- nothing was safe from her claws and little sharp teeth. Fortunately, she calmed down a lot by the time she had reached her second birthday.

I have been spending quite a bit of time working on my new book. Its topic is one that I have been wanting to write about for a long time but have never had the courage to try until I did the first book on the icons. I plan for it to be more of a booklet than a book as I want to keep it under 50 pages and it will also be published as a paperback which should keep the price down. I will keep you informed as the work progresses.

May peace be with you all.

No comments: