Tuesday, 14 July 2009

St. Thomas


Well, for the first time since the last icon of the Stations of the Cross, I want to show you a new icon. I have been working on this one between other projects over the past three months and I finally finished it last night.

I have named this icon "Thomas the Doubtful" which is what the Greek says at the top. It is this story that gave us the expression of someone being a "doubting Thomas".

I am sure that most of you are familiar with the story, but just to remind you, I will touch on the highlights.

The first time that Jesus appeared to all His disciples after the Resurrection, St. Thomas just happened to be absent (we are not told what he was up to). When the other disciples told him that the Lord had appeared to them and spoken with them, Thomas said: Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.

This was pretty bold of St. Thomas to be so doubtful; however, I guess he was just being honest about how he felt. At any rate, when Our Lord appeared to the group again eight days later, Thomas was with them. Jesus immediately turned to him and said: Reach your finger here and look at my hands; and reach your hand here and put it into my side. Do not be doubtful, but believe.

Thomas is stricken in his heart and cries out "My Lord and my God." I find this one of the most beautiful phrases in the Gospels and it is used to this day by Catholics and others when they behold the Blessed Sacrament. Jesus then said: Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. This refers to all of us throughout the centuries who have not seen and yet have believed.

You may recall that I mentioned a few days ago that I was thinking about a new book project. Well, I have started writing the text for a small book about the Blessed Sacrament which will be called "Christ Truly Present". I will keep you informed as I make progress.

By the way, if any of you out there have some real summer weather you would like to share, feel free to ship it up to Toronto! We continue to have beautiful, sunny days but the daytime high barely reaches 24 degrees (low 70's) and with the breeze blowing strongly it often feels much cooler. Where's that global warming when you need it?!!

May peace be with you all.


No comments: