Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Unusual Wildflowers


I want to show you two drawings of unusual wildflowers tonight.

This first one is called "Skyrocket" and is found in New Mexico of all places. I lived in New Mexico for a few years back in the 1960's and while there, I spent a great deal of time wandering in the great outdoors. I really don't recall seeing too many wildflowers except on my few trips up into the mountains in the northern part of the state.

New Mexico, without a doubt, is one of the most beautiful parts of North America, but mostly the landscape is filled with Prickly Pear and other forms of flowering cacti and plants that require little rainfall. So, when I came across this flower recently on a website, I was fascinated by it. On the same website I discovered several other unusual flowering plants found in New Mexico. How I wish I could be out there again -- this time I would know that with just a bit more attention, I should be able to find all sorts of delicate flowers hiding in the shade between those wild rock formations.



This second drawing takes me back to the mountains of East Tennessee where my sister now lives -- a place filled with all sorts of beautiful wildflowers.

The one is called "Indian Pink" even though it is mostly red instead of pink! It is another unusual looking flowering plant which is also easy to miss unless you know what you are looking for. Of course, this part of North America has such lush growth that it is easy to miss many things -- especially poison ivy -- the bane of my summers when growing up!

Whenever I see flowers like these two posted tonight, I feel just a little bit sad that I can't immediately be where they grow, looking at them in real life instead of just as a photo or a drawing. One of the things I miss most being disabled is wandering through the woods looking for wildflowers, listening to bird songs and lifting the occasional rock to see if there is a snake hiding under it. Oh, well, at least I have lots of wonderful memories.

May peace be with you all.

No comments: