Saturday, 29 August 2009

Blue Flowers



I am rather late getting this entry posted. I spent the afternoon with a dear friend, Sr. Mary Cecilia, and Wheeltrans took forever to get me home -- and hour and a half to be exact. So everything got pushed back a bit. But here I am.

Tonight's first blue drawing is of a small flower called "Mazus". It is supposedly a member of the Snapdragon family although I can't confirm that. The plant is also known as Creeping Mazus or by its proper name of Mazus reptans.

It makes excellent ground cover and although its original home was in the Himalayas, it grows in North America along the eastern seaboard to the mid-west, preferring a milder climate.

In order for you to see how small it really is, I have included the photograph below which shows a person's finger holding up one of the flowers, giving you an indication of it small size.





I trust that the owner of the photograph won't mind my using it. I am not making any money off of it and am, in fact, giving the photographer free exposure! -- so goes my rationalization.



The second blue drawing is of a plant called "Birds Eye Speedwell".

The fancy name for this plant is Veronica persica and it is a member of the figwort family. It is also known as Common Field Speedwell. It came to us from Europe and is now found coast to coast from this area of Ontario down to the southern U.S. The flowers are small, about 1/2 inch in diametre. The leaves are a rich green colour and a bit thick. Instead of trying to draw them, I decided to give an impression of their profusion and colour. My depiction is not, therefore, accurate, but it pleases me. Hope you don't mind!

Now, being very tired, I am going to call it a day.

May peace be with you all.


No comments: