Tuesday, 11 August 2009

The Colour Orange



Orange is one of my favourite colours. I am not sure what this says about my personality, but like it or not, all shades of orange appeal to me very much.

So, whenever I see anything that has the colour orange in it, I am immediately attracted. Just like I was by the photos of the two plants I am posting tonight.

The drawing shown at the beginning is a very unusual plant from the land of unusual plants: Australia. It grows large enough to be called a bush and it goes by the name of "Albany Banksia".

The "Banksia" part of the name comes from the name of Sir Joseph Banks, the English naturalist, who accompanied Captain Cook on his first journey to the Pacific. I am sure the native Australians already had a name for this plant, but they, as usual, were ignored.




This second drawing is of a plant that most of you are familiar with since it grows in many gardens in North America -- whether people want it to or not.
It is, of course, "Lantana". The proper name for this particular variety is Lantana vibernum. It has such a lovely orange colour mixed with yellow that it is almost glowing.
Back in the days when I was doing oil paintings, I used to always keep well supplied with two particular colours: Cadmium Red and Cadmium Yellow. I loved the glowing shades of orange, red and yellows I could get from mixing these two in various proportions -- especially the different shades of orange.
Well, I had said I was going to talk more about novenas tonight, but I am just too tired. So I will save that discussion until the next time I post a new icon of a saint -- maybe by the weekend.
Peace be with you all.

No comments: