Thursday, 13 August 2009

The Colour Pink



While pink is not one of my favourite colours, it was my mother's favourite. She loved all the shades of pink except what we now call "hot pink" or "pank" as she referred to it, derogatorily.

I can't tell you how many dresses I had growing up that were various shades of pink. My mother was a very skilled seamstress and made practically all my clothes until I left home at age 18. I remember a beautiful pink dress she made for me the summer before my senior year of high school. It was a lovely pale pink with all sorts of tucks and folds across the front. It must have taken her hours of tedious work. Although I didn't say it, I remember thinking "oh, no, another pink dress!" Ah, the ingratitude of youth!

Forgive the reminiscence, but I never think of pink without thinking of my mother.

As for the drawings, the first one is obviously a "Water Lily", a pink water lily to be exact. I love the challenge of trying to draw reflections although I often struggle with the effort to make them look natural. Reflections are such strange things as parts of objects are often reflected in water that surprise you and if you try to leave them out, the drawing doesn't work.



This second drawing is of a flowering plant called "Mountain Primula".

The primulas are European mountain flowers and they truly prefer mountains as they like to be covered in snow during their dormant season. Some people refer to them as "Alpine Flowers". They grow in mountain crevasses and require very little soil, growing in places that at first glance appear to be solid rock!

I am not really finished with this drawing as I remain unsatisfied with the appearance of the rock itself. I will continue to play with it until I get a surface that satisfies me.

Meanwhile, I continue to try to organize my series of books. Speaking of which, I still haven't explained novenas to those of you unfamiliar with them. I plan to do so when I post on Saturday as I will be posting another icon that will be going in the book on novenas.

May peace be with you all.

No comments: