Monday, 31 August 2009

I Almost Forgot!


I almost forgot to post anything tonight! I was starting to get ready for bed when it suddenly dawned on me that tonight was the night for adding a post to my blog. I thought about just forgetting it, but being a bit compulsive about things, I decided to do it even at this late hour.

So, quickly, I will tell you about tonight's drawings.

The drawing above is of "Wild Tulips". Yes, tulips grew wild long before they were turned into the cultivated varieties we are so used to seeing in the springtime. And guess where these wild tulips were found: Kazakhstan! See the map below if you are not sure where it is.



The wild version most often has white or whitish petals with a yellow centre while the leaves are the typical tulip leaves. In my drawing you really can't see the leaves all that well as I decided to put the flowers in the midst of a weed patch! These days you can find wild tulips in gardens all over the world.




Here is my drawing of the "Southern Red Trillium".

These wild flowers are found from West Virginia to NE Alabama but occur mostly in the gorges of the Cumberland plateau. They can grow to a height of 16 in. (40 cm.).

Below is a photo I came across after finishing my drawing. These flowers were found on the Fiery Gizzard Trail in Tennessee's South Cumberland Recreation Area. The leaf is so beautiful that I am now thinking about going back and including it in the above drawing! At present, I just have an indication of the leaf in the background. We'll see.




Now, I must get myself off to bed. Actually, I love staying up late, but I don't like it at all when I have to get up at the normal time in the morning!

May peace be with you.


No comments: