Sunday, 23 August 2009

Michael Slew the Dragon


Another icon completed for the NOVENA ICONS book.

This is St. Michael, of course, showing him just as the dragon (Satan) is slain. The story is found toward the end of the Book of Revelation, also known as The Apocalypse, the final book of the Christian Bible. Therein we find an account of the last days of creation as we know it -- the events of earth's final battle appeared to St. John in a vision on the Island of Patmos. Interestingly, there is no mention of someone called the "anti-Christ" nor is there any mention of something called the "rapture". These are terms you might have heard thrown around in discussions regarding the "end times".

The good news is that we know who finally wins the battle between good and evil: St. Michael and His Heavenly angels destroy the army of Satan (that old dragon) and his rebellious angels.

The icon depicts that moment when evil is destroyed forever. The words across the top of the icon read: "Holy Michael".

Years ago when I had just finished my first study of the Book of Revelation, I was so jubilant that I felt that writing a ditty that helped me express my joy. The first verse goes as follows:

"Michael slew the Dragon and I saw it happen,
Michael slew the Dragon and I saw it happen,
Michael slew the Dragon and I saw it happen,
Satan like lightning did fall."

There are about 6 verses all in the same pattern.
Not very clever, but you should hear it with the music!! Seriously, to this very day when I sing it, I find myself smiling broadly and feeling quite joyful.

Nothing new to report in the book department. It will take some time to get any responses from the publishing companies in the U.S.

I hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday.

May peace be with you.


No comments: