Saturday, 15 August 2009

Novenas and Icons


Tonight I want to show you two new icons that I have been working on. I have reached the first draft stage of both and since they are related to my comments on novenas, I am going ahead and posting them.

The icon above is of "Our Lady of Mt. Carmel". She holds the brown scapular in her right hand. Scapulars are another tradition that I will talk about some time, but not tonight. Tonight I want to briefly mention novenas

Novenas are
nine days of public or private prayer for some special occasion or intention. Its origin goes back to the nine days that the Disciples and Blessed Mary spent together in prayer between Ascension and Pentecost Sunday. The word "novena" comes from novem which is Latin for nine.

So for nine days (or even nine hours) you say a special prayer to Our Lady or one of the Saints, asking them to intercede for you and pray for your intentions. A novena can also be prayed by a group of people for a particular intention such as the healing of a friend or family member or for the conversion of someone.

So you could pray a novena to our Blessed Mother under the title of "Our Lady of Mt. Carmel". Or you could pray a novena to one of the saints such as "St. Anthony of Padua" whose icon follows.


This icon, just like the one of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, has a wonderful story behind it. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to tell you both stories eventually, but tonight I want to mention only that both of these icons are part of my new book which will be called NOVENA ICONS. The plan for the book is that on the page opposite the icon I will have a brief account of what the icon represents (the symbolism and the saint's story) followed by a prayer than can be prayed for nine days asking that saint to pray for your special intention.

Of course, first I have to finish the book of the Stations of the Cross icons, but I can't help but already be working on the next book!

Peace be with you all.

No comments: