Thursday, 27 August 2009

Something Slightly Different


Well, tonight I want to show you something slightly different.

When I did the drawing above, I noticed as I was completing it that it had a vaguely art deco/art nouveau look about it. As I sat with it for a while, I begin to consider how it might look with an art deco frame.

I have never put a frame on any of my non-icon drawings before so I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Gradually I got used to the idea, especially once I added the frame and liked the result.

If you have any comments to make about the above drawing, named "Resting Lotus", please send them in.




Tonight's second drawing is not that different from other water lilies I have done previously.

This one, called "Water Lily with Leaves" is actually a species found in Thailand. I don't know any more details about the species, but thought it was interesting with the reddish "berry" on top.

Meanwhile, I am living in the midst of something called "Buskerfest". This event has taken place in my downtown neighbourhood for the past 10 years and it truly takes over everything! The restaurants are allowed to place tables out to the edge of the sidewalk so you are forced to walk in the streets. The streets are filled with performers and vendors so you are forced to stand still. In other words, stay home unless you really enjoy watching buskers perform! I am staying home -- old stick-in-the-mud that I am.

May peace be with you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the art deco/nouveau rendition of your "Resting Lotus". I agree; the colours blend together beautifully, giving it a real sense of depth, and the frame is a very effective touch. Please try this again sometime. . .I really think your wonderful flowers deserve to be the subject of a book - if (hopefully) at some point a publisher decides to take on your work. E.S.