Monday, 17 August 2009

Sunflowers and Lanterns


This drawing of sunflowers is named "Ron's Sunflowers" The reason being that the drawing was made by using, for my guide, a photograph made by someone named Ron! This Ron just happens to be the husband of my cousin, Sharon. I think I have shown you some of Ron's photography before -- you can see the wonderful work he does at his website, Aronsha.

Anyway, Ron recently posted a wonderful photo of sunflowers on Facebook. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to use it for a drawing. What better name to give the drawing then than Ron's Sunflowers?




Tonight's second drawing is of "Chinese Lanterns".

These plants are popular for their papery, bright orange lantern pods that develop around the ripening fruit. The pods are often cut and dried and used for Thanksgiving and Halloween arrangements. The plants do have small white flowers in mid-summer, but the really striking part of the plants are the "lantern" pods. They do have a bad reputation, however, of taking over flower beds if they are not cut back properly.

I have been getting a bit more work done than usual these past 4 days what with the record high temperatures we have been having. I have been out only to keep appointments with close friends and occasional medical personnel; otherwise, I have stayed close to my air conditioning. The cooler weather is on its way, thank goodness.

Peace be with you.

No comments: