Thursday, 10 September 2009

Flowers and a Long-legged Cat


Tonight you get to see something other than flowers for a change. However, first I want to show you another flower drawing.

This drawing is of a plant called "Cistus". The common name for this plant is "rock rose".

The plant originated in the Mediterranean area but is now found in gardens in all parts of the world. The variety that I have drawn is a garden hybrid called x Halimiocistus wintonensis -- isn't that a great name?!


This second drawing is of a long-legged black cat.

I came across the photo I used as my model in an old library book about cats. At first, I thought this must be some kind of unusual species -- maybe even a small wildcat -- but according to the book it is just a house cat with very long legs.

To me it is a truly beautiful cat. The first cat that was ever "mine" as a young adult was also a solid black cat. His legs were not quite so long, but he had the same elegant look about him. He loved to be chased around the house, bouncing off the walls and furniture. His name was Furfur.

It's interesting that I started off with a solid black cat and have ended up with a solid white cat which is supposed to be my last cat according to my doctor (I have asthma).

So, I continue to do mostly flower drawings these days as I don't have any particular projects or commissions at this time. I do want to do a few more icons of various saints for my "Novena Icons" book, but there is no rush on that. Also, it is difficult to stay indoors these days as we are finally having day after day of beautiful (not too hot) summer-type weather after a summer of rain. I am really enjoying the sunshine and blue skies.

May peace be with you all.

1 comment:

Amra Porobic said...

Dear Sallie,
I loved your hibiscus and crabapple and St John's Worth. The poppy mix looks interesting, but what could make it even better would be if you try to tell a story by adding a few more items. Who forgot the hat while smelling the poppies?...
I hope the pain in legs is managable.
Hugs and prayers,
A.