Tuesday, 22 September 2009

Hybrids and Gold


There are a large group of Rhododendron hybrids known the Vireya Hybrids. The drawing above is one of them by the name of "Pink Veitch".

These hybrids are only suitable for mild or tropical climates unlike many of the more common Rhododendron which grow here in Canada. There are over 800 species within this genus!

I have found photos of several other Vireya Hybrids which I may also be drawing. If I do you will see how varied the members of this group can be.




This next drawing is my attempt to create a more impressionistic depiction of a particular flower -- the "California Poppy" (Eschscholzia californica).

This is the state flower of California and covers the hillsides of the State for much of the springtime.

I think it is interesting that the state flower is golden in colour since we will always associate gold with California! Also California is called "The Golden State" and has plenty of golden sunshine throughout the year.

My drawing shows the flowers without their long stems, impressions of leaves which are not attached to anything and then the stems whose flowers have turned to seed -- a somewhat unusual approach since I normally prefer to make my drawings as life-like as possible.

I am trying to get myself motivated once again to continue working on my icon books. I reached a certain point and then just seemed to be unable to push myself any further. As the saying goes: I think my get up and go has got up and went!

Peace be with you all.

No comments: