Wednesday, 14 October 2009

More Plumeria and Saints


Just as I promised, here is another Plumeria. Remember what I said a couple of postings ago? Well, in case you have forgotten, I said: I am not finished with my efforts to draw a more life-like depiction" or something like that! Anyway, I will just repeat what I said about the plant's origin below.

"
Plumerias (Frangipani) are also known as the Lei flower and is native to warm, tropical areas of the Pacific Islands, the Caribbean, South America, Mexico and some southernmost parts of Florida. They grow into large shrubs or even small trees."

Their Family is Apocynaceae. Their Genus is Plumeria. The species shown above is rubra. The cultivar (or particular variety) is Celadine. So I am calling this drawing "Plumeria rubra Celadine".

I really like these flowers and their big leaves, so expect to see more of drawings of them. This is my third attempt to capture their elegant nature.





I also want to show you a drawing I did a week or two ago of St. (Padre) Pio. I put "Padre" in parantheses because technically it is no longer part of his name. He was known for many years simply as Padre Pio, but when he was canonized, his name officially became St. Pio of Pietrelcina.

Over the past month, I have grown exceedingly fond of St. Pio of Pietrelcina. For years I was a bit uncomfortable with him because of such things as the stigmata, fore- knowledge, being in two places at one time, fights with demons, etc. All this seemed just a bit too much for me. I mean, after all, I have a nice, reserved background where faith doesn't have all these extraordinary excesses!

Then I started reading and watching DVD's about Padre Pio and now my opinion has changed completely. I have also decided to try not to be such a snob about people's expression of their faith.

All of this leads me to the point of posting this drawing -- I am considering whether to try to do an icon of the saint. I consider this drawing to be almost like a sketch which I would use for developing a real icon. If you have an opinion on this matter, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

I will close my posting tonight with St. Padre Pio's famous saying: "Pray, hope and don't worry."

No comments: