Monday, 26 October 2009

One New; One Second Edition


There are two drawings I want to show you tonight. The first one is a new drawing while the second one is a revision of a previous drawing. I called it a "second edition" in the title, but it is really a revision.

The first drawing is of the same Genus as a drawing I posted on Monday, October 12: Lewisia. Both plants come from the
Family of Portulacaceae and the Genus, Lewisia. The fancy (or common) name of the hybrid I posted on the 12th was "Little Plum". This one, however, is not a hybrid and I don't have a fancy name for it. Many of the Lewisia plants are commonly called "Bitterroot" and so I guess I will assign that name to this one as well.

I did a thorough search to see if I could discover its "cultivar", but after searching until all the plants begin to look alike, I gave up. If anyone reading this has an idea of what this one might be called, please let me know.




As for this second drawing, the "first edition" was posted back on Thursday, October 8. The original has a dark, green background. As you may recall, this "spooned" flower is named Osteospermum Nasinga Purple.

After working with the drawing a bit more post-posting, I decided to try redoing it with a light background. Then, I couldn't decide when one I preferred. I have asked a couple of people since then for their opinions and so far the votes have been 2 - 0 in favour of the bright light finish as above. What do you think?

You may have noticed that I have a tendency to like bursts of light in the background on many drawings. I had an art instructor tell me once that I should investigate why I was drawn to orgasmic depictions in my art. I wanted to tell him that they were not orgasmic, but, rather, they were "Alleluia" depictions. That I was expressing praise to God with my art work. And, besides, was not Christ the Light of the world? I don't think he would have been too impressed by my reasoning, but I stand by it even now.

May peace be with you all.

1 comment:

Raquel said...

I vote for the light one. Beautiful drawing!!!