Wednesday, 28 October 2009

Uncertainties



The first drawing tonight is of a cactus plant. That much I know.

I also know that its name is Cactaceae Ortegocactus macdougallii. I am calling it "Mac" for short.

By searching online I was able to discover that the plant is found growing wild in only one location:
Oaxaca, Mexico. I checked a number of plant websites where I can usually get a lot of information, but there was almost nothing there. It seems this is the only "Ortegocactus" known to us.

So, I remain uncertain about any other information.



I am in even worse shape when it comes to this drawing.

I have no definite information about this plant at all. The photo that I worked from was taken in Cape Breton so that is what I am calling the drawing: "Cape Breton Flowers".

I have tried and tried to find an exact match for this plant, but so far I have been unsuccessful. If you know what it is, please let me know.

I figured that it must be either a Coreopsis or Gaillardia of the Asteraceae family. Gaillardia is where we find all the Blanket Flowers. The problem is the centre of these flowers in the drawing. None of the Blanket flowers have a raised, dark brown centre like the ones in my drawing.

There are over 30 different species of Gaillardia and that many or more of Coreopsis. So, I am very uncertain about what kind of flowers I have drawn.

So there are all my uncertainties as noted in the title of this posting.

I did receive a copy of the 7 x 7 paperback edition of the Rosary book. It is a lovely little book which could easily be carried in a purse or backpack, but I really don't like the paperback cover. It doesn't lay quite flat. You know how some paperback covers curl back at the corners just a little -- well, that is what this one does and I really dislike that. I am tempted to publish it with a hard cover, but that would take the price up and defeat the purpose of having it small and with a paper back.

If you are interested in buying a copy of this small version, the price is $27.50.

By the way, I seem to have a cold. I don't think it is the flu as I don't feel bad -- I just have a runny nose. Anyway, should I miss posting on Friday, it will mean that I am feeling worse. Not to worry, I will be back soon.

Peace be with you all.

No comments: