Saturday, 7 November 2009

Bethlehem


On Our Lady's Saturday (as I have mentioned previously, Catholics have a long tradition of honouring Our Lady on Saturdays), I would like to show you a new drawing of Our Blessed Mother. It also includes the baby Jesus and St. Joseph.

This is not an icon. It is just a simple drawing of the Holy Family in a traditional Christmas pose. I am calling it: "Bethlehem, Christmas 2009".

It is difficult for me to believe that we are already so close to Christmas. I haven't even started thinking about gifts, cards, etc.

Fortunately, I already have a couple of new drawings to use for cards: the one above and the one icon which I showed you a few weeks ago.

A dear friend of mine has chosen six different flower drawings of mine which he has asked me to make into Christmas cards for him. Surprisingly, they not only look good, they also look quite Christmas-y.

Actually, I have to correct something I said earlier -- I may not have started thinking about gifts for the few people in my life to whom I give gifts; however, I have already thought about a gift for myself! Actually, I have already given myself a birthday and Christmas gift! The gift is a new foster child -- a 9-year-old girl from Ethiopia by the name of Betelhem (pronounced Bethlehem). This is truly one of the best gifts I could have given myself. Everyone should be this kind to themselves. I will show you her photo soon -- she's lovely.

Peace be with you all.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I very much enjoyed your most current drawing of the Infant Jesus with His Mother and step-father.

I like the idea that it is not an "iconic" style. . .you really do a wonderful job at depicting the human face and expressions in "real-life" formats, as well - and I hope you will continue these as well as your icons.

Although I'm not quite sure why, this particular drawing reminds me a bit of a Mexican motif, especially with reference to the faces of each.

Good work, as always!

Eugene