Sunday, 22 November 2009

More Heliconia


I apologize to anyone who was looking for a new posting from me yesterday, but my life got all confused on Saturday with a marriage preparation class in the morning and a visit in the afternoon -- well, the truth is, I ended up forgetting about it until I was climbing into bed! So, I will post this early today and then continue to post every other day from today as usual.

As you can see above, I have posted another drawing of a variety of Heliconia. I really like these plants as they are so colourful and so interesting in the unusual ways they have devised for protecting their flowers.

This variety is called Heliconia wagneriana torbo (I am not sure how the "torbo" got in there as this plant looks just like all the other "wagnerianas" to me). Anyway, as you may recall, the Family is Heliconiaceae and the Genus is Heliconia.

There are between 100 to 200 species of Heliconia which are native to the tropical Americas and the Pacific Ocean islands west to Indonesia. All of the plants have various kinds of waxy bracts with small, true flowers peeping out from the bracts. This is the part of the plant that intrigues me the most. I am sure you will be seeing a few more Heliconias in the future!

This posting is going to be a bit short as I am just getting ready to go out again to celebrate a friend's feast day (besides being Chirst the King, it is also the traditional feast day of St. Cecilia).

May peace be with you all.

No comments: