Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Happy Feast Day


Surprise! I have been working on another icon -- the first one I have drawn in over a month. I guess the Guardian Angel one was the last one before this one.

Anyway, this is called "Holy Family, Joseph's Hands". I felt like this was a good day to show it to you as it is one of the beautiful feast days of our Blessed Mother -- the feast of the Immaculate Conception. So Happy Feast Day!

As for the icon, I was interested to observe how the expressions on the faces appeared after I finished drawing them. I never really decide beforehand when I am drawing just what the facial expressions will be. I leave that up to the Holy Spirit. To my surprise, Our Lady ended up looking as though she had suddenly remember Simeon's prophecy to her that her soul would be pierced because of what would happen to her Child. The Child is looking at Joseph, it seems to me, as though He wants to be reassured that everything is going to be all right. Joseph looks as though he is just trying to be the strong one in the family at that moment. It is a drawing that brings forth feelings of sadness in me when I gaze upon intently. What does it make you feel?

I apologize for being late with tonight's posting, but I have been very busy working on my book of the Stations of the Cross. I finally finished it and have now prepared it for ordering. I did this with some urgency as I have already had two people look at the draft copy and tell me that wanted copies of it for gifts. So I will be notifying them tonight by email that the book is ready for ordering so that I can place their orders right away and have the copies here before Christmas. Now I have to get serious about finishing the book on Novenas.

My sister in Tennessee is supposed to be calling soon so I had better get this published now or it will be even later before it gets posted.

Peace be with you all.

No comments: