Thursday, 7 January 2010

Allamanda and Art


Tonight's drawing is the first in a series of drawings of Allamandas!

All Allamandas are members of the Family Apocynaceae and Genus Allamanda. The one I am showing you tonight is the species Allamanda blanchetii. Its common name is "Purple Allamanda".

This group of plants is of unknown origin but probably originated somewhere in South America. It is found in such places as Hawaii and Brazil. It is an Evergreen shrub which can grow up to 10 feet tall.

This plant is attractive to bees, butterflies and/or birds with its large, fragrant flowers. However, all Allamandas have sap which is poisonous to children and pets.

I am not sure which Allamanda I will show you next as I am working on two different ones at the same time! It will be a surprise to us all.

Next, I want to show you a new art form that I discovered just today through my friend, Hylott. He sent out a pps to all the people on his "list" which showcases the work of an artist who signs his name "San Base" although he is actually Russian by birth.




Above is an example of one of his art pieces which reminds me a bit of Lawren Harris. While I find this piece very pleasing, it does not really express what his art is all about. Let me allow him to speak for himself:

"The Dynamic Paintings I'm designing are examples of digital generative art - an art that has been generated algorithmically by a computer system. There have been many attempts at producing generative art; the history of it goes back to the early days of computer development. Many of these works have used fractals and pretty much none of them accounted for more than just basic artistic principles. This is not the case for my Dynamic Paintings. I'm a strong believer that innovation is often born when several drastically different disciplines come together, and I think that being an experienced programmer and an artist gives me an edge.

Another big challenge with dynamic picture has been the inadequate computing power of personal computers to handle advanced algorithms that describe artistic principles of a computer generated painting. My technology uses powerful video cards to generate real-time images that rival most of the conventional contemporary paintings that cost thousands of dollars. This is not something that has been attempted before. Also, being able to generate images in real time enables me to set paintings in motion and create a new experience never seen before. The painting is always in the state of a perpetual transformation. It never repeats itself. Every time a new image is created, there is an opportunity for a peaceful receptivity and then the work disappears forever."




At the introduction to his gallery site is written the following:
"Using the latest in computer technology, a still picture is transformed into a never-ending show that adds a whole new dimension to traditional Art. Images replacing each other hour by hour, day by day, month by month. None of the images repeat previous ones and will never repeat again. The picture is living its own life with objects moving and transforming but still following the original artist's concept."

I find this whole concept totally new and fascinating.

Peace be with you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sallie,
I too find the work of San Base to be fascinating, if not mesmerizing. In fact, I have now downloaded a FREE version of a computer screen saver that he offers at his studio website (http://www.sanbase.com/gallery.html) that has further and more frequently fascinated and mesmerized me.

Aside from that fascination and mesmerization, I continue to find your drawings to be absolutely delightful. From my perspective your skills in using the media you have employed to create these has improved since I first started following your posting here to what I would describe now as being finesse!

I would like to once again take the opportunity to thank you for continuing to post both your drawings and your comments here for the enjoyment and instructional / educational benefit that I (and I am sure others) benefit from.

Hylott