Friday, 1 January 2010

Happy 2010


More than a few of the people I called today to wish them "happy New Year" sounded as though they might be looking a bit like our miserable polar bear here.

I called one couple, expecting to speak to both; however, I was told by the husband that the wife was sleeping while he was awake but tired. They didn't do anything wild -- just had friends over -- but still did not get to bed until the wee, small hours. Another friend admitted to having just gotten up when we spoke about 1:30 p.m. It seems she did not get to sleep until about 4:30 a.m.!! What is it about New Year's Eve that does this to people?




Surprise, surprise, I have a new icon to show you.

I decided a couple of weeks ago that it would be nice to work on a Christmas icon during the Christmas Season -- so..., here it is. I tried to create a sense of light in the front of the cave using the presence of a lantern. I don't know if I overdid it or not. I had to make the stable very dark and the manger looks more like a crib than a manger.

One thing I have begun to notice lately is that most people refer to the nativity scene as the manger. I hear them say "Christ was born in a manger" or "I set up my manger scene today", etc. I wonder if we will have to change the meaning of the word "manger". As you no doubt know, the manger is the animals' feeding trough which Jesus had to use for a bed. He was born in a stable and laid in a manger. Just thought I would mention it.

----------
I must tell you that I have had some feedback on my latest book, Stations Icons. Two readers both found the entire publication to be excellent. I got top marks from them for the reflections I wrote to go with each icon/station -- lots of compliments. One reader suggested that the school board would be crazy if they don't immediately snatch it up for use with high school students! So, if any of you were hesitating about purchasing your own copy, you need hesitate no longer. Remember, all you have to do is go to www.blurb.com/bookstore and put sallie thayer in the search box to find all my books. Once you have done this, you can place your order for any one or all of them!

I pray that this will be a wonderful year for all of us and that your lives will be filled with many blessings.

Peace be with you.


1 comment:

Eugene said...

By far my favourite of Sallie's Nativity icons! The colours blend beautifully and the contrast between the stark darkness of the stable and the brightness of Heavenly Splendor is striking. What a great idea for next year's Christmas cards! Eugene