Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Stoning of Stephen



Late last year I started working on this icon of the "Stoning of St. Stephen".  After a time, I put it aside, telling myself that I would finish it later.

Well, I returned to it this past week and working on it over the weekend, I managed to finish it at the beginning of this week.

I don't think I really need to say much about the action here as I related the story of St. Stephen and his stoning when I posted the other icon of St. Stephen last week.  This icon simply shows the elements of the story as given in the Book of the Acts of the Apostles in the New Testament.  We are told there that as St. Stephen gazed up into Heaven, he was stoned to death by a group from a Jerusalem synagogue.  Those who threw the stones, it is reported, laid their cloaks at the feet of a zealous man named Saul of Tarsus -- a man who hated the members of this new Jewish sect and wanted to stamp it out.  As you probably know, this man was later renamed Paul and he went on to become one of the greatest Christian teachers ever known outside of Our Lord, himself.

My legs are acting up tonight so I had better go and try to do something about the pain and discomfort.  I will write more on Friday.

Peace be with you.
 

2 comments:

Amra Porobic said...

Is this icon done in the new or old software technique? You captered the motions so well.

Sallie (Sarah) said...

Yes. I am still using the same old software to do my art work. The new software is just for playing with -- things like the holographic effects, etc. Thanks for your helpful comments. Sallie