Thursday, 18 February 2010

Agapanthus

 

Agapanthus or "Lily of the Nile" is a genus of mostly summer-blooming plants native to South Africa.  They have been placed either in the family Alliaceae or separated into their own family of Agapanthaceae.  I think they belong in their own family of Agapanthaceae -- for whatever my opinion is worth!

Members of the genus have funnel-shaped flowers in varying shades of blue.  The flowers are produced in many-flowered cymes on long, erect stems called scapes which can grow up to 1 metre long!

The example in the drawing above is called "Agapanthus Ben Hope" and is described as being "a magnificent hybrid with intense, blue flowers on compact plants."

I did not achieve the exact colour of blue that I was aiming for -- I wanted something closer to a light indigo.  So, I may be showing this drawing to you again if I can achieve the right shade of blue.

___________________________________
Next, I want to show you my photograph for the day.  I cannot look at it without laughing with delight.


 

I call it "The Elephant in the Shower".  

Certain animals, like young children, are able to express pure joy.  For me, this photographer has captured the expression of such joy and delight.  Even now, I can't stop smiling as I look at the photo while typing these words.  And these days I need to see things that make me smile and laugh as I am missing miz k.d. so very much.

I want to say once again how much I appreciate all the kind emails, phone calls and cards that I have received in the days since miz k.d.'s death.  Thank you.

Peace be with you.

No comments: