Friday, 12 February 2010

Prunus domestica



I must confess, it is really difficult for me to concentrate on writing about my art tonight when miz k.d. is lying in a bed beside me obviously feeling very ill.  As I told you in my previous posting, she has been diagnosed with only a kidney infection; however, I am still not convinced that there isn't something else going on.  Anyway, for the moment she seems to be managing OK so I will try not to worry and trust her wellbeing to the God who created her.

As for the drawing above, it is the flower and buds of an ordinary wild plum tree.  The Latin name, used in the title of this post, is Prunus domestica.  Interestingly, it is a member of the rose family or Rosaceae.  There are several different subspecies of plums found in North America, both wild and cultivated, and since they are able to cross breed easily, numerous intermediate forms can be found.  The flowers range in colour from white to pink to purple-pink and vary from the simple 5-petal varieties to multi-layered flowers such as I have drawn.

Wild plum trees always remind me of the tree that grew at the edge of the woods just as you turned to start up the hill towards the house where I lived during my teenage years.  The flowers were so beautiful and sweet-smelling while the fruit was so tart that it was almost impossible to eat!  Every year I tried to eat those delicious looking plums only to give up and leave them to the birds! 


 


I made a topographic image of this drawing to see if it had the right ingredients to be effective; however, I don't think it worked all that well.  So far my experiments with this software have yielded very few positives and a lot of negatives.  Only a few drawings have attained that look of stained glass.
 

  


Here is a photo of miz k.d. when she was younger and healthier.  This was probably taken around 2000/2001 when she would have been 5 years old.  If only she was looking half this bright-eyed and bushy-tailed now, I would be extremely happy.  Oh, well, I need to trust. As Julian of Norwich said all those centuries ago:  "All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well."

May peace be with you all.

No comments: