Friday, 26 March 2010

Another Lilium plus Pandas


Well, I just can't seem to stop drawing the flowers of the genus, Lilium -- the true lilies.  This one is named Lilium primulinum var.  I think this name means that it may be a hybrid -- interbreeding between two species -- but I am not sure.  Anyway, I really like the way it looks although it is rather different in appearance from the more traditional "true" lilies.  

I have come across several other species that I really like so, be warned, their will probably be more Lilium drawings!


Now, using photos that my friend, Eugene, sent to me, I want to tell you a story about the "Cloistered Panda Nuns"...




Here we see the whole community of Panda Nuns fervently at prayer, early in the morning.  They are all dressed in their traditional black and white habit.



Following prayers, the nuns make their way to the refectory (dining room) where they prepare to eat their morning meal of one bamboo shoot each.  Here the Mother Superior leads the nuns in prayer, saying:  "Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts..."



Next the sisters each go to their private prayer corners where today they are busy preparing themselves for participating in the weekly celebration of the Sacrament of Confession.  Here we see Sr. Patricia "Patty" Panda deeply immersed in her examination of conscience.



Soon it is Sr. Patty Panda's turn to enter the confessional where Fr. Peter Panda is waiting.  As he acknowledges her presence, Sr. Patty says:  "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned..."  For the remainder of her confession, we leave it "locked" within the seal of the confessional.



After completing her confession and receiving her penance, Sr. Patty returns to the chapel where she spends much of the remainder of the morning deep in contemplative prayer.  While it may appear that Sr. Patty is sleeping, she assured me that she was truly hard at work, praying for all her sisters and all the Pandas throughout the world -- especially those locked in cages in zoos!



Afternoon brings recreation time.  As you can see, the nuns really like to loosen up as they get their daily exercise while playing on the convent grounds.  Exercise is a very important aspect of the cloistered life of the Panda Nuns as they tend to be a bit roly-poly!



Finally it is time for the evening meal.  Sr. Patty has to stop to remind one of the novices that slurping noises are not allowed in the refectory.



The day is complete and now it is time for bed.  Sr. Patricia gratefully lays her head down on her pillow and falls asleep saying her bedtime prayer:  "Now I lay me down to sleep..."  

Silence falls over the convent -- other than the sound of the occasional snore.  All is at peace.

And I wish that peace may be with all of you.

No comments: