Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Freesia and Springtime


If you have got a very good memory, you might recall that I said, back on March 10th, that I had a third Freesia drawing to show you.  Well, here it is!

This variety is called Freesia lava (pink form) of the Family, Iridaceae.  If you want more information about Freesia, take a look at the posting for the 10th. 

____________________
Next I want to show you a couple of things that remind me of springtime.



First is this quick sketch I did recently of two lambs.

I saw a photo of lambs and it made me think of Easter and spring and so I decided to sketch a couple of them. I took a few liberties such as giving them smiles -- hope you don't mind.


I have been on a farm during lambing season and the baby lambs are truly adorable.  However, I also know how maddening it can be to watch them when they get separated from their mothers.  They bleat and the mothers call -- back and forth they go, seemingly forever, until they finally find one another.  Then after the lamb nurses furiously for a time, the mother, continuing to graze, gradually moves away from the lamb.  Soon the lamb notices that mother is no longer there and begins to to bleat loudly once again.  So it goes on and on until you wish desperately for really good ear plugs!

[Copyright Jay Thaxton]



Finally, there is this photograph that an acquaintance sent to me recently.

The photo was taken recently just outside Asheville, North Carolina and shows all the signs of springtime.  It actually looks a lot like the area where I grew up in Alabama.  The hills were not quite as high, but, otherwise, everything else seems familiar.  Just looking at this picture takes me back in time and reminds me of what the earth, air and sky were like at this time of year.  It is so beautiful when the earth awakens each spring. 

We are supposed to be having almost summer-like weather by the weekend here in Toronto so I am sure all the plants and trees will be busy trying to bloom.  It should be a totally beautiful Easter.


Peace be with you all.

No comments: