Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Repeats and Horses


This first drawing is another example of the genus Dietes -- of the family Iridaceae.  This particular one is called Dietes grandiflora.

I spoke about this genus back on March 2nd when I posted a drawing of Dietes bicolour.  You may recall me saying that the genus name Dietes is derived from the Greek "dis" which means twice and "etes" which means an associate and is drawing attention to the position of this genus between Moraea and Iris which are its two relatives.

These South African flowers are really spectacular in their detailed beauty. 




The second drawing is of Magnolia blossoms.  You may recall the various times I have shown you other drawings of both the northern Magnolia blossoms (the above drawing is an example of that) and the southern Magnolia blossoms.  

I grew up in a part of the world where magnolia blossoms, with their creamy white petals and heavy, sweet fragrance, are found growing in very large trees.  I have drawn some of these blossoms in the past.  

When I first arrived in Canada and saw some smallish trees with purple-white blossoms, sticky petals and almost no scent, I was amazed when I was informed that these were magnolia trees!  I have since learned to enjoy these magnolia trees just as I once enjoyed those southern ones -- increasingly aware of the infinite variety of Creation.

Now on to tonight's photographs.  

I am on the mailing list of a photographer named Jay.  Jay lives, I think, in the area of Aiken, South Carolina which is horse breeding country.  A beautiful area of the southern U.S. with its forests of long-leafed pine trees and numerous lakes.  Jay often posts photos of events on one of the many horse "farms".  Recently, he sent me two photographs which I found particularly interesting. 




[Copyright Jay Thaxton]
This first photo shows some two-year-olds playing like colts.  Jay's comment was "these two-year-olds were at it all morning ... I have never seen anything like it."    They remind me of kittens who have been rolling in the catnip!




[Copyright Jay Thaxton]
This second photo is the one I find most amazing.  Jay said this photo was taken the day after these youngsters had run the Steeplechase.

I had no idea that horses were allowed to lie down like this as part of their recovery after a period of extreme exertion, but obviously that must be the case.  I would imagine that the spring sunshine and the warm sand would feel especially good on aching muscles.

 

So, may peace be with you and all of God's creation.

No comments: