Saturday, 20 March 2010

True Lilies -- Lilium II


Tonight I want to show you some additional drawings I have done of plants in the Genus, Lilium.  You may recall my describing this group of "true lilies" a few postings ago.  Now I have completed two more.

The first drawing I want to point out [see above] is the species Lilium 'Gran Paradiso'.

One well known member of this genus is the species Lilium candidum or the Canada Lily -- a plant most of us are familiar with.  There are a number of plants whose names include the word "lily", but unlike those in the genus, Lilium, they are not real lilies.


Remember, the genus, Lilium, are herbaceous flowering plants growing from bulbs.  Most species are native to the temperate northern hemisphere.  They comprise a genus of about 110 species in the lily family (Liliaceae).  Some species are sometimes grown or harvested for the edible bulbs. 




This second drawing is of Lilium rubescens.

I think that is probably the last "lilium" drawing I will be doing for a while.





I came across some paintings by the artist, Anton Gorevich, recently.  I really delight in the whimsical nature of his work.  A friend sent me a pps of his art and I wish I could show you more than just this one image.  I chose this one, obviously, because of the cat plus the almost "Alice in Wonderland" presentation.  If you ever have a chance, take a look at more of his work.

Speaking of cats (see how cleverly I was able to sneak that in there!), Suki is doing very well, but I am exhausted!  She is quite the kitty!

May peace be with you.

No comments: