Friday, 12 March 2010

True Lilies -- Lilium



The most familiar of the true lilies is the Tiger Lily (see my drawing above).  The Latin name is Lilium lancifolium, genus, Lilium and family, Liliaceae.

Although this plant is now cultivated in many countries (including ours), it is native to northern and eastern Asia, including Japan.


The more ancient form of this plant is known as the "Turk's Cap Lily" (see the drawing below).


Lilium lancifolium, like other true lilies, has flowers borne on an erect stem, clothed with the more or less linear leaves.  It is one of a very small number of species that produce aerial bulblets, known as bulbils, in the leaf axils along the stem. (see below).


Lilium lancifolium is cultivated in Asia for its edible bulbs.  It is also grown as an ornamental plant for its bold flowers and has become naturalized in parts of North America.  While most parts of the plant are edible for humans, the pollen is considered poisonous.  All parts of the plant are toxic to cats, resulting in kidney failure in a few days after eating it.  Therefore, it is not a flower I would want in my home!



For the first time in a while, I am including the "topographic" version of the drawing.  I think this is one time that the topographic effect really works.  I find the resulting picture to be very attractive.





Finally, tonight, I wanted to show you this cute poster I found hiding in one of my older picture files.  Although cloning is not as much in the news these days as it was a few years ago, it is still an issue to be dealt with in the years to come.  At any rate, I think this is poster is cleverly done.

Suki continues to do well.  I am very grateful that she has short legs as now she can only look with longing at all the shelves and cupboards on which she would love to jump -- places that I don't want her getting onto in the first place!


May peace be with you all.

No comments: