Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Clematis


Here is a quick sketch I did of a Clematis.  I really wish there was some way to achieve the kind of subtle shading between the purple strip and the white of the petal, but not with my computer.  Oh, well...

Clematis is a genus of climbing vines with showy flowers.  Over 200 species are known with more cultivars being produced constantly.  Most species are known as Clematis in English while some are also known as Travellers' Joy, Old Man's Beard, Leather Flower and Virgin's Bower.  The genus name is from Ancient Greek (klematis) meaning a climbing plant.  The Family is Ranunculaceae.

Clematis was called Pepper Vine by early travellers and pioneers of the North American West and used as a pepper substitute to spice up their food.  However, this entire genus contains essential oils and compounds which are extremely irritating to the skin and mucous membranes.  These compounds can cause internal bleeding of the digestive tract if ingested in large amounts.  The plants are essentially toxic.  Despite its toxicity, Native peoples used very small amounts of Clematis as an effective treatment for migraine headaches and nervous disorders.  It was also used as an effective treatment of skin infections.  (information from Wikipedia)




I decided to post this photo because it is truly one of my favourites.  Actually, I should say that this type of photo (or drawing) is the type I have loved since I was a child.  The reason?  It is the kind of picture that invites me in.  

Whenever I would see a photo or painting of this type, I would allow myself to be drawn into it and then in my imagination, I would wander down the roadway that is unseen.  If you allow your imagination to take you there, you never know what you will find just around the bend.  It may be beautiful or just more of the mundane; however, you never know until you enter the photo and find out!  I still do this to this very day.





Sorry you have to keep seeing these photos of Suki; however, like most people with a new pet, I can't help but keep taking pictures of her.  Also, like most people who take pictures of a loved pet or child, I want to show them to people.  So please bear with me.

Here you see Miss Suki showing off her underneath and being very casual about the whole concept of modesty!  The hand is mine and I am holding a section of a piece of plastic wrapping that goes around packages.  This is her all time favourite toy.  Like so many people with new pets, I bought all kinds of little toys for her to play with and while she does play with them occasionally, she spends most of her play time each day with that little bit of plastic!  

May the peace of God be with you all.

No comments: