Friday, 2 April 2010

Snake Flowers on Good Friday


Snake Flower -- Ornithogalum dubium of the family Hyacinthaceae is native to South Africa.  Previously, the members of the genus Ornithogalum belonged to the family Liliaceae (true lilies) but is now considered to be members of the family Hyacinthaceae (Hyacinth).  These plants are bulbous perennials and are considered to be poisonous.

The supposed origin of the genus name is very interesting.   Ornithogalum comes from the Greek for "bird's milk".  Ornithos equals bird and gala equals milk.  I have no idea why the common name for this beautiful plant is "Snake Flower".  Perhaps snakes are often found in the vicinity of these flowers.





For the first time in a while I decided to use the topographic software on this drawing and I liked what resulted -- so I am sharing it with you.

You may be wondering about the white circle in the background.  Well, my e-friend, Jay, sent out a photo of the moon just as it was rising so I used it for my background.  What do you think about it?




I spent most of this afternoon at St. Michael's Cathedral for Good Friday liturgy.  It was beautiful; the church was packed, with people standing outside filling the courtyard.  The Archbishop led the liturgy and, as usual, did a fantastic job.  In his homily, he made an oblique reference to the clergy abuse situation.  He did this in such a way that we felt he really understood the gravity of the situation while calling the shepherds of the Church to do whatever is needed to put things right.




This final item is a quick sketch I did while trying to capture that wild look in Suki's eyes when she wants to play.  I am not really very good at trying to draw from real life.  I need to take some good photos of her at play and then I won't have to worry about trying to get her to stay still long enough for me to draw something decent!


May peace be with you all.

No comments: