Saturday, 24 April 2010

Tacitus bellus and Eyjafjallajokul


I was immediately impressed when I happened to come across a photograph of Tacitus bellus and I knew I had to try to draw it.  I am pleased with the result -- I hope you are too.

Tacitus bellus was discovered by Alfred Lau in 1972 in West Mexico -- States of Chihuahua and Sonora -- at an altitude of 4,800 feet growing near the edges of cliffs in shady areas.

This plant has been oscillating for some time between the genera Tacitus bellus and Graptopetalum.  The family name in either case is Crassulaceae and the genus is either Graptopetalum or Tacitus bellus -- depending on which side of the argument you are on. From the title of this posting you can see which side I have chosen!

________________
Following are a couple of photos from the recent eruption of the Eyjafjallajokul volcano.  You may have seen them already; however, I wanted to post them just in case you haven't.  There are many photos of this famous eruption, of course, but these are two of my favourites.



This is a dramatic photo which I first saw on the TV news.  It is really spectacular with the fire and the ice and the resulting lightning.  It looks like how I have often pictured Hell or the place where the ring was formed in "Lord of the Rings".



These are buildings near the volcano and, consequently, are covered with ash.  I find this to be a beautiful photograph in spite of the terrible environmental event that is occurring.  How small we and our dwellings are in comparison to major natural disasters.  Look at the size of the buildings in which we often feel so safe.  For me, I can only feel really safe in God who is bigger than the universe.

_______________________
Well, it is late, but I was busy watching a Polish film on TV entitled Katyn -- about the mass killing of Polish officers by the Russians in 1940.  It was the anniversary of this event that the Polish leaders and military officers were recently going to Russia to attend when their plane crashed in thick fog and all aboard were killed.  Anyway, the film was excellent (subtitles) but watching it kind of messed up my schedule.  But, as I always say, better late than never!

May the peace of God be with you all.

No comments: