Friday, 14 May 2010

The 14th Day


Well, here I am back again with a new icon.  This one is of St. John of the Cross.

The feast day of this saint is December 14th -- which just happens to be my birthday -- so he is my patron saint.  Today is the 14th of May so I felt it was appropriate to post this drawing today.  As well, I can take this opportunity to remind you that it is exactly 7 months, to the day, until my birthday!

For those of you who may not know, St. John of the Cross was a close friend of St. Teresa of Avila (also known as the great St. Teresa).  He helped to reform the men's part of the Carmelite Order while St. Teresa did the same for the women's.  St. John, like St. Teresa, suffered much persecution and ill-treatment during his lifetime, but, eventually, the Discalced Carmelites were well established and continue, to this day, to give many saints -- both women and men -- to the church.  "Discalced", by the way, refers to the fact that these contemplatives do not wear shoes, only sandals (year around)!

___________________
Next, I want to show you three cat photos from a series of photos entitled: "Cat in a Box".  Being a long-time cat lover, I can attest to the authenticity of these photographs as I have seen cats sleep in positions in which it would seem totally impossible to breath, much less sleep -- soundly!  However, here is a bit of photographic proof:




The question is "Why do cats like to cram themselves into tight fitting places to sleep?"  They remind me of children with Asperger's Syndrome (mild autism) who feel most comfortable when they squeeze their bodies into a tight tube-like space.  Very interesting behaviour on the part of cats.




Now this character is exactly what I am talking about when I mentioned positions that would seem to make it impossible to breathe, much less sleep.  It is amazing how comfortable this cat actually looks while twisted like a pretzel. 





This fellow, on the other hand, decided to sleep in a box requiring no acrobatic contortions!  What I would really like to see, however, is how this kitty wiggles out of the box when his caregiver calls out "din-din"!  I would think that would be a very comical sight worthy of a video on You Tube.

________________________
So, my next posting will be on the 18th -- four days from now.  I will see how I feel about this four day business as time passes.  I may find that I just cannot go four days without posting a sketch or drawing and spouting off about something or other.  We'll see.

May the peace of God be with you all.

No comments: