Saturday, 8 May 2010

Diamorpha smallii


Tonight's drawing is of a very small plant by the name of Diamorpha smallii (some botanists want to call it Sedum smallii for some reason, but you will have to ask them about it as I don't understand their arguments!).

I do know that Diamorpha is a genus of the family, Crassulaceae, which includes the species, Diamorpha smalliiD. smallii is endemic to the southeastern United States.  It becomes active in late Fall and Winter, blooms in late March and then dies.  It has red, succulent leaves that act to reflect light and hold water.

I became interested in this plant because my friend, Jay, sent me a photo of D. smallii as it appears in the wild (see a similar photo below).  I then began to search for photos online and finally found a good picture to work from, including the "group shot" of the flowers below.



             "Group Shot" of Diamorpha smallii




Diamorpha smallii as it appears in the wild, just after blooming in March.

It tends to grow in these low-lying patches on rock surfaces and from a distance looks like pools of reddish-purple water!


From my readings I discovered that there are actually people who go to the southeastern U.S. during March just to see Diamorpha smallii in bloom!





This photo with its caption made me laugh -- I hope it makes you laugh as well, or at the very least, gives you a chuckle!


May peace of God be with you all.

No comments: