Sunday, 30 May 2010

Field Bindweed


Field Bindweed is considered to be a pest and nuisance throughout the world -- but even such a despised plant has its own beauty.  I hope I have captured some of that beauty in my drawing.

The proper name for this plant is Convovulus arvensis. Convolvo is Latin meaning to entwine; arvens is Latin for a cultivated field.  Field Bindweed is a native of Europe and Asia that has spread throughout the world.  It is considered a serious weed in 14 countries and a problem in 19 others, including the U.S. and Canada.  The first observation of Field Bindweed in North America was in 1739 in what is now the State of Virginia.

Field Bindweed is a twining perennial vine.  Characteristics distinguishing it from other vines include arrowhead-shaped leaves, thin stems, pinkish petals fused into funnel-shaped flowers.  These flowers only last for one day, while a single plant in a single season may produce up to 550 seeds!  Stems, which usually attach themselves to objects, always twine around those objects in a counter-clockwise direction.

I used my funny software on this drawing just to see what it would look like.  I found the results interesting and have included the picture below.  It is fascinating to me to see what colours develop from my ordinary pinks and greens!




_____________________________________
Next I want to show you two photos I received in an email from a friend.  The subject heading of the email just said "car trouble" so I really had a good laugh when I saw the photos included.  What on earth do you do in such situations.  I wish I could talk to the people involved and find out how they eventually got out of their dilemmas -- assuming that they survived!



"911?  Well, you will never believe this, but there's an elephant trying to eat our car!"

What on earth would you do in this situation?  I guess you have no choice except to wait it out and pray for the best.  Hopefully, the elephant will grow tired of trying to play with the car and move along -- but who knows.  Maybe he is feeling especially hungry.  Yikes!




          "Who wants to get out and change the flat tire?"  


I think I might just decide to ruin the tire and even the wheel rather than take the chance that these are peace-loving house pets.  What would you do?

Life always presents us with new problems but let us hope that ours won't be as dangerous as these.



May peace be with you all on this Feast of the Holy Trinity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the elephant and car photo, my uncle took the photo on safari in Africa. This was a wild bull elephant in musk that found this little blue car attractive. The couple inside was lucky that a large truck came over the hill, saw the elephant and backed up; the elephant decided to head for the truck. Enough of a distraction for everyone to get safely away. I love this pic!

Sallie (Sarah) said...

Dear Anonymous: Thank you so much for contacting me and letting me know how the story ended. I would very much like to let my current readers know what happened as well. Do you think it will be all right if I post the photo in my next posting along with your comments? I will also be glad to give your uncle photographic credit if you would like. I apologize for using the photo without permission, but I had no idea how to find out the source of the photo. So, if you see this response, please let me know if I have permission to use the photo again with your comments. Thanks. Sallie Thayer