Saturday, 22 May 2010

Oxalis


Tonight's drawing is the flowering plant, Oxalis. 

Oxalis is by far the largest genus in the wood-sorrel family Oxalidaceae.  The genus occurs throughout most of the world except in the polar areas.

Many of the species are known as wood-sorrels as they have an acidic taste reminiscent of the unrelated Sorrel proper.  Some species are called yellow-sorrels or pink-sorrels after the colour of their flowers.  Others are known as false shamrocks because of the shamrock shape of the leaves.

I guess my drawing could be called "Pink-Sorrels" since the colour of the flower petals is pink -- except when you take a look at what I have come up with in the next picture! 




This is the result of a function I discovered in my fancy software that enables me to create an entirely new colour design.

I really like the way this one turned out.  I have tried it before with other drawings, but it just did not look that good -- but this one is different.  The drawing works just as well, if not better, in these colours than in the "natural" colours.  I would really appreciate some feedback on this.





This next item is the scanned image of a fridge magnet that I created.  

This online company that is always trying to get my business, recently sent me an offer I could not refuse.  The offer said that if I created my own design, they would print 25 fridge magnets for me for free!  This is the result.

If you would like one, please let me know.





I have always had a soft spot in my heart for wolves as I have mentioned before.  Part of it comes, I think, from an early realization that they were outcasts who were always spoken of in a negative way.  The "underdog" so to speak!  

Then there was the year I worked with Dr. Pimlott at the University of Toronto -- his speciality was the study of wolves.  He and his students would spend summers way north following the caribou and monitoring wolf packs/families, observing the behaviours and interactions of the wolves.  I got the job of typing up research papers and, in the process, learned a great deal, including respect for this intelligent, family-oriented animal.

This photograph seems to show a really pensive expression on the face of a lone wolf -- maybe an older sibling longing for the day when he can start his own family.  Who knows the thoughts and feelings of the creatures with whom we share this planet.

________________________

May peace be with you all.

 

No comments: