Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Beautiful Images

Our Lady of the Greek Capitals

I do not know the proper name of this icon.  The only title I could find was written in Greek.  I tried to figure out what it said, but it requires more than just knowing the Greek alphabet.  So, since the name was written in Greek capitals, I am calling the icon "Our Lady of the Greek Capitals".

Christ is shown as a boy in this drawing rather than a baby with an adult face.  He is also holding an open scroll with writing on it instead of the usual closed scroll, tied with red strings.  I wish I could find out more about this icon, but, so far, I have been unable to.  If any of you should come across more information, please pass it along to me.




This rather unusual looking plant is called Rhodochiton astrosanguineus of the Family, Plantaginaceae.  It is a native of Mexico woodlands.

Rhodochiton astrosanguineus is also known as Rhodochiton volubilis meaning "purple bells".  It can grow to a height of 3 metres and spread to a width of three metres.  Though it grows wild in Mexico, it has been cultivated in various other parts of the world.  It is actually a tender plant and very sensitive to cooler temperatures or frost.  The dark green, heart-shaped leaves make it a very attractive climber when cultivated.



Now, let me introduce you to the art of Robert Duncan.  He is an American artist who grew up in Utah and Wyoming and his art depicts scenes of farm or small town life from this part of the world.  I think I was introduced to his work by my friend, Hylott.  He knows I am interested in everybody's art and so sends me any pps documents that contain art work.

The scenes presented in these two painting (above and below) remind me very much of the kind of countryside I grew up in.  Even though rural Utah and rural Alabama are a long way from each other, the farm and small town life in the U.S. looks pretty much the same wherever you go.

Have you ever tried to ride a cow?  The hard part is finding a way to get on!



I love this painting because both the mother and the child are barefoot.  I remember in grade school that some of the really poor children would start coming to school barefoot when the warm weather arrived -- they were trying to save their shoes.  Even I went barefoot as often as I was allowed to in the summer.  Sometimes the rough ground required sandals, however.  But, oh, the ground often felt so good beneath your feet.

As for Robert Duncan, he is quoted as saying:  "I decided years ago to paint the things that I cared most about.  That decision has brought me a lot of joy and satisfaction and I'm especially grateful that my family has been such an important part of all this."

He and his wife, their six children and a lively assortment of farm animals live in a small town in northern Utah.

_________________________
The number of days between each posting are starting to vary more and more -- sometimes 3 days -- 4 days -- five days...  Maybe it is this hot summer weather -- perhaps it has infected me with a attitude of manana!

Anyway, I hope whoever reads this posting will enjoy reading it and when they finish, will feel themselves at peace.

God bless you.

No comments: