Saturday, 31 July 2010

Lilies and Roses -- Not


Victoria cruziana Santa Cruz Water Lily

The plants, commonly called "water lilies," belong to a Family by the name of Nymphaeaceae.  These plants live in fresh water in temperate and tropical climates around the world.  The Family contains eight genera -- the one shown above is of the genus Victoria. The genus Victoria contains two species of giant water lilies and can be found in South America.  Water lilies are rooted in soil in bodies of water, with leaves and flowers floating on the water's surface.


 Viburnum opulus Guelder Rose

Viburnum opulus is a species of Viburnum native to Europe and Asia.  The common name "Guelder Rose" appears to have originated because a popular sub-species supposedly first originated in the Dutch Province of Gelderland.  

It  is naturalized in North America where it has been misleadingly re-named as "European Cranberry Bush" (it is not a cranberry).  It does have small, edible, red fruit with a very acidic taste; however, it is mildly toxic.   The dried bark is used as a tincture known as "Cramp Bark", to alleviate painful menstrual cramps.  It has been used in the treatment of various other female problems and is also a muscle relaxant and antispasmodic.

Viburnum opulus is the national symbol of the Ukraine.  The bush can be traced throughout Ukrainian folklore and is found in songs, paintings and Ukrainian embroidery.



My friend, Hylott, sent me a beautiful pps which contained these three animal photographs with the saying attached.


This first one, actually a painting, has a quote from Leonardo Da Vinci which leaves little doubt as to his feelings about human brutality.




This second one is a photograph and a beautiful one at that.  Once again there is a quote which puts mankind in a pretty bad light when compared with the rest of God's creatures.



This third one I just had to include both because of the adorable puppy as well as the wonderful statement accompanying the photo.  Dogs, for the most part, can teach us a great deal about unconditional love.  
_____________
My big news today, however, is that I have finally sent my latest book to the publishers.  This is the book I have been talking about completing for over a year now -- and I have finally completed it!  The titled is NOVENA ICONS and it contains the icon, information page and prayer for about 28 saints.  There are 33 entries, but there is one for the Sacred Heart and at least 4 for Our Lady.


Anyway, it is now available for purchase -- although you may want to wait a couple of weeks to see if I make any changes after I get my hands on the first printed copy!  You can go ahead and take a look at the preview by going to www.blurb.com then going to book store and putting my name in the search box.  I would really love to have some feedback.


Now I shall continue to enjoy my evening, free of any pressure to go and work on  the book!  It is finally finished.

No comments: