Saturday, 7 August 2010

Crocosmia Family


                          Crocosmia X crocosmiiflora (Montbretia)


Recently, I decided to try my hand at drawing some members of the Crocosmia Family.  I think there are about seven full-fledged members of the Crocosmia Family and then there are a whole bunch of hybrids, Crocosmia X.  These hybrids are usually called Montbretia by botanists and such, while the ordinary gardener populations seems to just call all of the varieties, Crocosmia.  The Latin family name for these plants is Iridaceae.

The name, Crocosmia is derived from the French botanist and plant collector, de Montbret (1781-1801).  He apparently used to hang out with Napoleon in Egypt.  The genus and common name Crocosmia is derived from two Greek words:  krokos (saffron) and osme (smell) pointing to the fact that when dried and rubbed, Crocosmia leaves have a fragrance similar to saffron.

Crocosmia is a native to the grasslands of South Africa


                        Crocosmia jackanapes                  

This is the second drawing I did of this genus and is called Crocosmia jackanapes.  As far as I can tell, this is one of the seven known species of Crocosmia (not a hybrid), but I could very well be wrong.  If anyone out there knows for certain, please let me know.

I have one more drawing of this species that I am just finishing.  I will post it soon.  I am attracted to these plants because of their orange-red flowers -- I love orange/red/yellow combinations.

____________________________________________
Next, I have some cute mother and child photos.


                       Mama Cat

I love the way mother cats carry their young.  The kitten show here is obviously not a new born and yet, in its mother's mouth, it rides totally relaxed, fully trusting that she knows what she is doing.  I would love to know just what she is doing and where she is taking him.  Maybe it is time for getting his ears thoroughly washed!


                         Mama Bison

Here is a mother Bison with her new-born calf..  It looks as though there is still snow on the ground.  Thank goodness the babies are born with a good fur coat to keep them warm!



                         Mama Monkey

Speaking of fur coats, I can just imagine this little, naked-looking monkey, asking her mother, "when am I going to get my own fur coat?"  The coat of the adult is truly beautiful.  What an amazing variety of creatures God has created!

______________________
I was thinking today, as I prepared to write this blog, that probably very few, if any, people will read it.  I guess I really shouldn't complain, however, since I really write it for myself more than for anyone else.  I like to post my drawings along with cute photos I come across.  Plus I like doing a bit of research on some of the topics I mention.  I would guess that I do come up in some of the searches people make on Google and I just might provide a bit of help occasionally.  So, as they say these days, "it is all good."  However, if anyone is out there, I would love to have a tiny bit of feedback occasionally -- especially regarding the questions I ask.

May peace be with you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute. I wager the Mama cat is taking it back to her sanctuary because the wee one has wondered off.
/David

Sallie (Sarah) said...

Quite possibly so, David. Thanks for a comment. ST