Sunday, 19 September 2010

Butterfly Flowers (Schizanthus)


Tonight's floral offerings are members of the genus Schizanthus.  These flowers are commonly known as "Butterfly Flowers" and "Poor Man's Orchid".  They are members of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family and are native to Chile.

You may be aware that there are other plants that are referred to as "butterfly" flowers.  For example, the butterfly weed (Asclepias) and the butterfly bush (Buddleja).  However, Schizanthus are called Butterfly Flowers because the blossoms look similar to showy, South American butterflies.  The other two have "butterfly" as part of their name simply because they attract butterflies.

These flowers (above and below this text) are very showy and, therefore, were very difficult for me to draw on the computer.  When there are several bold colours together, fading into one another, the artist really needs to be using a medium that allows for shading.  I hope you find them interesting anyway.
 



______________________
Next, I want to show you -- as I usually do these days -- a few funny photos.





Unfortunately, the size of this photograph, as you see it here, is too small to do justice to the look on the penguin's face.  It is so funny and immediately makes me think of the expression "what am I, chopped liver?"  You should be able to click on the photo and enlarge it.  If you do so, you will see what I mean about the face.  It makes me laugh each time I look at it.




I find this photo quite delightful.  "Kids" are all the same whatever species they may be.  This one is bothering a parent who obviously is much more interested in sleeping than in paying attention to the young one.  Any ideas for a cute caption?



And, I really like this one.  Is that a belly laugh, or what?  He must have been watching human beings doing something silly, don't you think?  What else could possibly make him laugh so hard?!!

_____________________
Nothing new is happening with me.  I spent a lot of time this past weekend watching Pope Benedict XVI in Great Britain and Scotland culminating in the beatification of John Henry Cardinal Newman.  It was all quite beautiful and so different from what the media reported.

Suki is doing well and is now training me to sleep less so that I can spend more time playing with her, holding her in my arms and providing her with tasty tidbits!  You think I am just joking here?  I had to stop at least twice while preparing this posting just because she wanted me to hold her in my arms for a while so that she could nuzzle and wash my ears!

May peace be with you all.

No comments: