Sunday, 5 September 2010

Snails and Saints


Sorry to have been away for so long, but the days just zoomed past and suddenly here it was already September the 5th!  Anyway, I am back again with some new drawings for you.

This first drawing is of Vigna caracalla, a leguminous (bean like) vine from the family Fabaceae.  Actually there is some disagreement about the family this plant should be placed in.  Most botanists settle for Fabaceae; however some insist it should be in the Leguminosae family or even the Papilionaceae.  I have no expertise in these matters, but I do think it is interesting that even the scientists can't decide many times!  The common names for this flower are "the snail plant", "Snail Vine (or Snail Bean)" and "Corkscrew Flowers".

The "caracalla" part of the plants name, by the way, indicates that it was first identified in Caracas, Venezuela.  It is a fast-growing vine originating in tropical South Amercia and Central America.  The vine attracts butterflies with its fragrant flowers from mid-summer into fall.  "The 2" blooms have upper petals that contort and bend backwards, with the elongated keel coiled in 4 or 5 spirals like a corkscrew."

I did a second drawing of this plant which shows the small flower buds.  I am not sure why I did this drawing, but for some reason the idea of drawing just one part of the flower appealed.  Anyway, I included it for your viewing pleasure!


Next I want to show you what I have done about two of my favourite saints:  St. Sarah (the saint who gives me my real name) and her husband, St. Abraham.



I wanted them to be a matched set of icons and thus I gave St. Abraham the same background as St. Sarah and, as well, I used the same colours for both.

I wanted St. Abraham to look like the ancient patriarch he was and I think I accomplished that.  How do you like the wild hair and long beard?



St. Sarah I have shown you previously.  I did make a few changes in the icon as I had not ever been fully satisfied with my drawing.  I still am not fully satisfied, but have decided to let her be for the moment.  Later on, I plan to go back and do the drawing all over again to see if I can capture more of what I feel about this woman and the part she played in "salvation history".



Finally, I want to show you a delightful photo of the "King of the Jungle".  Somehow, I don't think that butterfly is too concerned about that big mouth and all those teeth just below its tiny feet. 

The combination of strength and fragility posing so peacefully together pleases me and makes me smile.  By the way, note the scratch marks on the rock.  I am grateful that Suki doesn't have claws that big or else my rugs would be nothing but a mass of tangled threads!

I pray that all of you will have a joyful Labour Day.  May peace be with you.